Sunday, August 2, 2009

Wine or Whine

Before you think that I only have the joyful thrills as a reason to laugh, I'll let you in on my current roller coaster ride. My dear sweet hubby has been without a job for now 6 1/2 months. God has been faithful and has provided him with some great temp work, but it doesn't have the comforts of knowing you have a job to provide a steady income, it doesn't have any benefits, it doesn't have all those things you take for granted when you do have a job. Why do I share this? Because in today's economy, I know I (we) are not alone. There are thousands of people in our situation. I am one among many who are having to make milk last a little longer, eating the crust on the bread because that is a little more food, counting the pennies to buy that loaf of bread to make sandwiches. We are not in a 3rd world country, we still have it good, but it is a new way of life for more of us than ever before. Our current economy does not help with finding a job quickly. For those who are still enjoying wine with dinner at night and are not affected by the economic tragedy we are in, I say rejoice and count your blessings. I love a good glass of wine! We aren't technically in a depression like the 1930s but we do have more moms at home trying to figure out how to cut costs. Even those families who have "job security" have made a more concerted effort to not spend as much at the local grocery store, to cut back on birthday parties, or to shop at discount stores that don't have a huge mark-up because of the brand name.

However, for those of you in my situation, and can't have a glass of wine with dinner, I will not whine. Just because I don't have all the luxuries I would like to have and like to offer my children, does not give you or me room to whine. I am choosing to, once again, laugh on my roller coaster ride. I am choosing to laugh and not cry. You know I could sit around and feel sorry for myself, but again life is too short. What is your "wine" that you are not getting to enjoy right now? Are you going to whine because you don't have life going your way? This too shall pass and yes, my husband will get a job. My hope is not in President Obama's economic stimulus plan. My hope is not in the housing market rising again and our house actually being worth something again. What is your hope in? Why do people lose hope? Why does suicide become the only alternative? Can we really live life without wine and not whine about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment